Sunday, February 17, 2013

Cross-Michigan Canoe Trip

I had a thought a couple of months ago about shedding all the stresses of daily life and going on an adventure to explore the natural world.  I thought about tackling the North Country Trail across the lower peninsula of Michigan.  I also thought about sailing my boat up the coast of Lake Michigan.  I then stumbled upon a book by Timothy Kent called "Paddling Across the Peninsula."

I thought this might be the ticket to sow this restless spirit.  The book covers research on the old canoe routes across the state of Michigan that have been used by Native Americans and early fur traders for centuries prior to the development of railroads and automobiles that have replaced this mode of transportation.  In fact, the present expressways across Michigan have followed this ancient canoe routes and their nearby Native trails.  Grand River Avenue out of Detroit and the present route of I-96 are great examples of this.  So in the spirit of Verlen Kruger, I was caught up with this endurance canoe journey.

This is my first attempt at carving a paddle.  I thought traditional ottertail paddles would be a great way to get in the spirit of this journey.  This one is made from a single piece of red cedar, although I laminated the handle for additional strength.
The trouble in the planning is how to navigate this state that is so different than what it looked like two hundred years ago.  Drainage ditches, that have created farmlands where swamps once stood, and dams have signficantly changed the course and navigation of many rivers around the state.  Additionally, the original routes included portages, or land crossings, to move between these early "highway" rivers.  Is it feasible to carry my canoe and supplies while crossing modern roadways on a trip like this?  Are there enough places to camp along this very urbanized route?  My plan is to paddle up the Saginaw River to the south branch of the Bad River.  From there, a short portage to the Maple River and down to the Grand River and Grand Haven.  To work out the exact portage routes that were once well worn paths I have found another book by James C Woodruff entitled, "Locating Michigan's Old Canoe Portages."  Another extensive piece of research from an impressive civilian researcher.  I am much appreciative for this book as well.

So, over the next few months I will be sharing my research and planning for this trip as these challenges get worked through.  I am excited to take on this challenge and hope you enjoy reading as the adventure unfolds.

No comments:

Post a Comment